The Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center (MassBudget) is seeking a Communications Director to provide senior leadership to advance the organization’s mission through strategic communications and to integrate this strategy organization-wide. This senior level position requires an extensive strategic communications background, media relations experience, excellent writing and editing skills, and new media expertise. This full-time position reports to the President.
We are seeking a communications professional who will lead the organization in shaping a clear and consistent narrative centered on policy solutions that help low- and moderate-income Massachusetts children and adults thrive. The Communications Director will help make sure that MassBudget is a source of reliable data and information by making our research more accessible to a broad set of key audiences. Like all MassBudget staff, the ideal candidate will have a commitment to equity, economic justice, and the organization’s strategic priorities.
MassBudget conducts rigorous policy research, always with an eye towards presenting our work in ways that are accessible to and easily used by grassroots organizations, the media, policy advocates, policy makers, and anyone else working to make life better in our Commonwealth. We have an annual operating budget of a slightly over $1 million. We are the Massachusetts affiliate of several national networks including the State Priorities Partnership, the Annie E. Casey Foundation's Kids Count network, and Economic Analysis and Research Network.
The Communications Director will help to develop MassBudget’s communications strategy by working with the President and staff to develop a compelling, cohesive narrative across our areas of research and tailoring our materials and content to various platforms to help amplify our findings and increase our impact. Responsibilities of the Communications Director include:
Strategic Communications Guidance:
- Ensure that public-facing communications materials are audience-centered, visually appealing, and speak to the larger social justice issues that drive MassBudget’s mission.
- Help shape MassBudget’s voice and messaging, and ensure consistency throughout publications and other MassBudget content including report release materials, social media content, and grant reports.
- Explore new ways to broaden and engage diverse audiences.
- Work with staff to maintain a clear and journalistic style of writing.
- Manage relationships with any communications-related vendors or consultants.
Digital Media—Website, Social Media, and Email:
- Lead efforts to improve MassBudget’s website.
- Post reports, multimedia, and other items to the website, and work to increase site traffic.
- Tailor MassBudget content to various social media platforms.
- Create social media content and curate content from analysts, moderate comments or inquiries from social media, and explore new ways to engage with a broad audience.
- Help to produce visual materials, such as infographics or videos.
- Develop strategies to expand MassBudget’s email subscribers.
- Track and analyze MassBudget’s communication indicators, such as email open rates, website page views, and social media analytics.
Print and Broadcast Media
- Enlarge and deepen the circle of journalists with whom MassBudget has a relationship.
- Anticipate upcoming news cycles, strategize about how our research can help to inform stories, and reach out to journalists who are likely covering those stories.
- Pitch research and op-eds to journalists.
- Keep a consistent eye on news media related to the issues MassBudget researches, and seek out earned media opportunities.
- When appropriate, encourage journalistic advocacy through the writing of pieces that help advance an equity agenda.
- Maintain regular contact with key journalists and encourage analysts to maintain relationships with journalists in their policy areas.
- Explore ways to broaden MassBudget’s press relations by increasing engagement with grassroots media outlets, diverse media outlets, and online platforms.
- Draft and edit press releases, mass emails, and op-eds.
- Arrange for staff members (both at MassBudget and among partner organizations) to provide quotes in press releases and news coverage. Draft talking points as needed. Cultivate key staff members, including the President, as thought-leaders for news media and relevant partners.
- Maintain media contacts and track media hits.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required and 5-7 years’ experience in media relations, public affairs, marketing, communication, journalism, digital/social media organizing, or a related field.
- Commitment to values of diversity, equity, and inclusion and the core principles of social justice.
- Experience with website management (WordPress and/or HTML experience a plus).
- Demonstrable experience in executing successful communications plans.
- Strong writing, editing, and organizational skills. Understanding of organizational messaging.
- Strong interpersonal skills including ability to work with different personalities and navigate diverse groups of stakeholders.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently, and lead collaborative projects.
- Familiarity with or interest in public policy, particularly in Massachusetts.
- Strong ability to convey credibility when dealing with media or general audiences.
- Experience with CRM systems such as Salesforce.
- Proficiency in Spanish, Chinese, or other prevalent language in Massachusetts a plus.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, presentation, and content management tools.
- Experience with visual design tools, which can include Adobe software (particularly Photoshop and InDesign), Canva, Piktochart, Tableau, and others.
Salary range is in the low $80s; benefits include health and dental insurance, retirement, and generous vacation, sick, and paid family leave and holiday schedules.
How to apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, put
YOUR NAME, Communications Director in the subject line and address to Marie-Frances Rivera, Interim President. This position is open until mid-January 2019.
MassBudget has a strong commitment to diversity. We encourage applications from persons whose background and experiences will increase the diversity of our organization.