We are seeking a dynamic and highly organized Director of Development who is aligned with MassBudget’s mission of advancing equitable policy solutions that create an inclusive, thriving Commonwealth for all. This is an exciting time as MassBudget continues its journey toward being an antiracist organization and explores what that means for our research, advocacy, communications, partnerships and our development work.
The Director will shape and oversee MassBudget’s development plans for foundations, organizations, and major and small individual donors. The Director will focus on helping secure significant, new funding from foundations and individuals. The Director will also manage our annual budget.
The Director will report directly to the President and supervise our Development and Systems Manager who helps with writing grant applications and reports. The Director will, with the President, manage the Board’s Development and Budget Committees. The Director will also coordinate with our Office Manager and Bookkeeper, among others.
MassBudget is a leading think tank advancing equitable policy solutions that create an inclusive, thriving Commonwealth. Our research, partnerships and communications align with three policy pillars: creating an antiracist state budget that invests in healthy, thriving communities; ensuring tax justice through a fair and adequate revenue system; and guaranteeing economic security for everyone in the Commonwealth regardless of their identity or income. We work closely with grassroots, community, and advocacy partners in building racial and economic equity in state policy. We are the Massachusetts affiliate of national networks including the State Priorities Partnership, the Annie E. Casey Foundation’s Kids Count Network, the Institute for Taxation and Economic Policy, and the Economic Analysis and Research Network. MassBudget has an annual operating budget of about $2 million.
The Role (click to expand)
The Director’s development role will include:
- Developing and leading the implementation of annual development plans which include identifying and securing of significant, new foundation, individual, and organizational support.
- Supervising MassBudget’s Development and Systems Manager including reviewing and editing grant proposals and reports.
- In close coordination with the President and the Development and Systems Manager, overseeing donor stewardship and prospecting including funder communications and solicitations, preparing for donor meetings, developing the annual appeal, and other donor engagement strategies.
- Organizing fundraising and stewardship events.
- Working with the Office Manager and Bookkeeper to maintain MassBudget’s donor database (Network for Good) and overseeing the organization’s grant tracking systems.
- Working with the Board’s Development Committee and full Board to support their fundraising efforts.
- Serving on MassBudget’s leadership team to help guide the organization’s strategic direction (along with the President, Vice President, Director of Communications, and Research Director).
The Director will also help to manage our organizational budget. This role will include:
- Building, projecting, and revising the organizational budget, in coordination with the President.
- Performing, at least quarterly, reconciliations of internal record-keeping systems, QuickBooks, and bank accounts, in coordination with MassBudget’s financial consultant.
- Working with the Board’s Treasurer, Budget Committee, and the full Board to ensure they are informed and knowledgeable about the organizational budget.
Skills and Experience (click to expand)
- Commitment to antiracism and to MassBudget’s mission of building racial and economic equity.
- Minimum five years of development experience, including direct solicitation of 5- to 6-figure gifts from foundations and other grantmaking organizations.
- Proven experience creating and executing a development strategy. Very strong written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of philanthropic organizations at the state and/or national level.
- Detail-oriented collaborator who has proven experience managing deadlines effectively.
- Ability to manage up and support the President and Board in their development responsibilities.
- Ability to produce in-person, hybrid, or fully remote donor cultivation events.
- Experience with development software and familiarity with nonprofit financial accounting systems.
- Experience working closely and effectively with a wide range of people.
- Experience managing personnel through mentorship and teamwork.
- Experience managing budgets, grant tracking, and managing restricted funds.
Additional skills and experience a plus:
- Understanding of local and state policy.
- Knowledge of a second language that is prevalent in Massachusetts.
- Knowledge of online platforms like Click Up, Slack, and Google Suite.
- Experience with public speaking.
Salary and Benefits (click to expand)
The position is full time. Salary range is $80,000 to $100,000 based on qualifications and experience. MassBudget provides generous benefits including health care, dental, vacation, paid sick and family leave, and a 401k plan. MassBudget is working remotely due to COVID-19 and will return to the office in some capacity when it is safe to do so.
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Put “LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, Applicant for Director of Development” in the subject line of the email. This position is open until filled.
As part of becoming an antiracist organization, MassBudget does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental ability, parental status, marital status, military status, or past legal conviction. MassBudget will provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement and will implement affirmative action and physical accommodation policies to employ people of diverse backgrounds and abilities. We encourage applications from persons whose background and experiences will increase the diversity of voices in our organization.